Wednesday 26 October 2011

NMS Exhibition

Nothing to do with work I’ve been up to today I’m afraid but me venting my excitement about some heritage for anyone in Edinburgh in the next few months. I would strongly recommend going to see ‘Admiral Cochrane, The Real Master and Commander’ at the National Museums Scotland. If you don’t know anything about Cochrane this is a good chance to find out about someone who should be a national hero, as good if not better than Nelson, but I’ve never seen a Cochranes’ column. You can have a look at his real things that he carried into battle and things he was given by some of the grateful nations he helped liberate.  If you liked Master and Commander (the film) or Patrick O’Brian’s Aubrey books or indeed if you have an interest in 18th and early 19th century politics (well someone must!) then this is for you.
Cochrane looking rather resplendent in a painting by James Ramsay
The exhibition runs until the 19th of Febuary and its Free so there is no excuse not to go.  http://www.nms.ac.uk/our_museums/national_museum/exhibitions/admiral_cochrane/about_the_exhibition.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment